Sunday 9 June 2013

Upstyle your scarf for winter!


So I admit it - I am a scarf hoarder.
I love scarves of all shapes and sizes when the cool winter weather arrives and I have a huge stash of them hiding in my cupboard. So this winter instead of buying a new scarf to add to my ever growing pile, I decided to 'upstyle' an old one, and thought I'd show you how I did it.

I used a plain cream coloured pashmina style scarf. I decided it didn't hang long enough after I'd wrapped it around my neck a couple of times, so the following instructions show how I created extra length in the front, and extra layers around my neck.( If you choose not to do this step and leave your scarf at the length it is, then jump ahead to Step 7 for the embellishing part.)

Trim the tassels. Cut in half lengthwise and sew trimmed ends together.

Step 1: Trim off the tassels from one end of the scarf.

Step 2: Cut the scarf in half lengthwise from the tasseled end right down to the the end you just rimmed the tassels from.

Step 3: Lay the two pieces on top of each other and match up the ends that had the tassels removed. Sew these together to make one long scarf.

Iron french seam flat and sew in place. Finish side with a rolled hem.

Step 4: Finish by making this a french seam. ie. Trim the seam allowance, then fold to enclose the trimmed edge and sew together.

Step 5: Iron the french seam flat and then sew the loose side down to make a flat join.

Step 6:Finish the side of the scarf with a small rolled seam.


You now have a new super long scarf ready for embellishment!

Choose whatever embellishments you would like. Pin and sew these to the scarf.

Step7: I chose some satin ribon an broderie anglaise to embellish the ends of my scarf. layer the embellishments in the order you want them, then pin them into place. Other suggestions are different widths of ribbon, blocks of satin or a pretty patterned material to contrast or even rows of sequins/beads for a sparkly look.

Step 8: I also decided to add some lace to add to the vintage feel I was going for. Sew all the embellishments into place leaving a small overhang at each side.

Trim the overhang

Step 9: Trim the embellishments where they overhang on each side.

Step 10: To cover the raw edges, I used a small satin ribbon.
* Other options would be to use bias binding or to add a ruffle to the side, or simply overstitch the edge.

Fold the end of the ribbon and lay flat over the edge of the embellishments.

   
Add satin ribbon to cover the unfinished edges.
Step 11: Sew the ribbon in place. Trim any loose  threads

The same embellishments can be repeated on the underside, or a contrasting pattern can be effective as well. As I was using remnants, I chose to only do one side.

Step 12: Repeat the embellishments at the opposite end of the scarf.






The finished product!
You can now wear your uniquely designed "new" winter scarf. If you added the extra length like I did, you'll be able to wrap it around your neck 3 or 4 times, whilst still having plenty of length to hang in the front. So it's not just pretty - it also snuggly and warm!

The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment